Monday, May 31, 2010

Egg (Ostrich egg!)

I am SO SORRY it has taken me so long to update this, call me a bad blogger if you will but I TRY!
So a few Wednesdays ago I was given my newest secret ingredient for IL which was Eggs. I started planning and when it came time to grocery shop Dallas told me he would be providing the eggs, about 2 dozen or so.
To my surprise, THIS is what he showed up with
Photobucket
A freakin' ostrich egg.

This egg was HUGE. The shell felt like shiny plaster and it was heavy. Cracking the shell took a few tries, I think I ended up just taking a hammer to it and clearing the small eggshell bits out before breaking the soft tissue under the hard shell. Either way, it was complicated.
Photobucket
Ha, still in my work clothes.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Finally...
Photobucket

It looked just like a ginormous chicken egg inside. I mixed in some heavy cream in with my eggs. I like cream in eggs, don't know why, you don't have to do this.
Photobucket

Anyways, on to cookin'.

Dish 1
Italian egg roll
You will need:
Egg
Puff pastry
Salami
Cheese - I used parmesan and ricotta
Balsamic vinegar

Set out your puff pastry to thaw. It takes about 45 mins
When it is soft, unroll it, coat with EVOO and sprinkle with some cheese.
Photobucket
These pictures all came out dark and yellow tinted :\

Next
Scramble some eggs with some more cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper. Don't scramble them all the way, keep them a little runny.
Photobucket

While your eggs cook find a second to cover your pastry dough with a layer of sliced salami.
Photobucket
Sprinkle with cheese - I used ricotta

When the eggs are done, cover the salami and roll up.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Bake in the oven at 400 untill puffy and done looking --- technical I know.

Meanwhile
Reduce some balsamic vinegar for a drizzle. This takes 5-10 minutes.
If you don't want to do this, they sell balsamic drizzle sauce sometimes in the grocery store :)

When your roll is done, remove from oven and drizzle with balsamic glaze, cut and serve!
Photobucket
Photobucket

Veggie Quiche
You will need:
Pie crust - I got the cheap frozen kind from the grocery store.
Eggs
Spinach
Onion
Mushrooms
Cheese

I had no idea making quiche was so easy! And it tastes impressive.

Start by throwing some chopped onions in a pan with some EVOO and mushrooms - stir often
Photobucket

When the onion is soft lower heat and add a handful of spinach leaves on top to wilt.
Photobucket

Wait about 2 minutes and put veggies in frozen pie crust and fill with a beaten egg. Throw a little salt and pepper on top and some cheese and put in them oven at 400 to bake
Photobucket
Takes maybe 10ish minutes. Check to see eggs are solid and cooked, remove, cool and serve!
Photobucket
(I made 2 because of the amazing amount of egg I had!)

After 2 quiches and an egg roll I had enough left over for 4 bowls of scrambled eggs.
My troops were full and ready to complete their battle

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry I missed that night ! Looks awesome as usual ...

    ReplyDelete